Felt House Ornament
When family lives far away, it can be hard to feel truly at home during the holidays. This little handmade ornament can help bring a little slice of home to you, wherever you may roam.
- Felt in 3 different colors
- Embroidery floss in 3 different colors
- Water soluble marker (optional)
- Step 1. Cut out pattern pieces from felt.
- Step 2. Pin roof piece to house piece with a 1/2″ overlap. Stitch in place with 3 strands of embroidery floss using the running stitch following the scallop shape of the roof. Repeat for both roof and house pieces.
- Step 3. Sew door to front of house with three strands of embroidery floss using blanket stitch.
- Step 4. Embroider window details on front of house with two strands of embroidery floss using the backstitch. You can draw guidelines on the felt with a water soluble marker, or you can freehand the lines.
- Step 5. Sew front and back house pieces wrong sides together with three strands of embroidery floss using blanket stitch. Leave an opening of about 2″ with a long tail of thread to sew it shut.
- Step 6. Stuff your ornament as much or as little as you like. Stitch shut the opening you left in the last step using the long tail of thread.
- Step 7. Thread a 4″ piece of embroidery floss through the point of the roof and tie in a knot.